Disturbing Details Found In Mac Miller's Autopsy Report

Rapper Mac Miller had recently dropped his fifth album "Swimming," when he unexpectedly died on September 7, 2018 (via Billboard). Born Malcolm McCormick, the Pittsburgh native was hailed for his throwback style and collaborated with the likes of Kendrick Lamar, Anderson .Paak, and more. Miller was also open about his drug problems in his lyrics (via Hip Hop Scriptures). At one point, he had been using daily. In the last years of his life, he was sober on and off.

Pitchfork reported that despite rave reviews for his latest album, 2018 was a rough year for Miller. His long-term relationship with pop star Ariana Grande had come to an end, allegedly because of his drug use. Per Newsweek, Miller was arrested for a DUI shortly after. However, after the release of "Swimming," he was prepping for a tour and was said to be feeling his best for the first time in years (via Rolling Stone). Thus, it was a complete shock for Miller's family, friends, and fans when he died at 26. His lifeless body had been found by his personal assistant at his Studio City, California, home.

An unnamed source told People "Everyone who he worked with was aware that he was delicate, but thought it was because of the new album, nerves, nothing like this." Just the night before, Miller had spoken to his mom on the phone and been watching football. Both his mother and personal assistant said Miller was in a good mood the night before his death, per the Associated Press. However, his assistant noted that Miller had recently gone on a few drug binges. ​

Mac Miller's cause of death was an overdose

TMZ reports that an unresponsive Miller was found in his bed kneeling forward with his face resting on his knees. He had a bloody nostril and a scrape on his nose. According to AP News, a coroner's report concluded that Miller died from an accidental overdose caused by a mix of cocaine, alcohol, and fentanyl. His autopsy ruled "mixed toxicity" as the cause of death. Miller had been using the drugs recreationally. Although his personal assistant did CPR, paramedics arrived quickly and declared him dead only 16 minutes after 911 had been called. 

Drug paraphernalia, an empty liquor bottle, and a $20 bill with white residue were found at the scene. TMZ states that bottles of Xanax, oxycodone, hydrocodone, Adderall, and two baggies with white powder were present. A white substance was also found on his iPad.  The Daily Star writes that the autopsy noted that Miller's body was covered in tattoos, including one that read "Only so much time left in this crazy world" (via AP News). Per the Los Angeles County Medical Examiner-Coroner, Miller's death was ruled an accident. 

Fox 11 states that fentanyl is 50 times more potent than heroin. Turnbridge explains that only two milligrams (the equivalent of a pinch of salt) of the substance are deadly. When taken together, cocaine and fentanyl create a deadly cocktail. While cocaine is an upper that stimulates the body, fentanyl is the complete opposite. Ultimately, the combination of the drugs can make the user unaware that something has gone wrong until it's too late.

At least one of Mac Miller's suppliers knew the drugs were laced with fentanyl

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported three men were later arrested and charged in connection to Miller's death a year later. Investigators determined that Stephen Walter, Cameron Petit, and Ryan Reavis had provided the drugs that ultimately ended the young rapper's life (via the BBC). Although Walter did not supply the drugs directly, he "knowingly and intentionally" gave them to Reavis, who then gave the drugs to Miller's dealer, Pettit. Walter did this despite knowing that they were laced with fentanyl. Miller, however, believed he had purchased oxycodone from Pettit. Unbeknownst to him, he had bought a counterfeit version. 

According to Fox 11, Miller died only two days after buying the counterfeit drugs. Turnbridge reports that dealers use fentanyl because it's cheaper to make than other drugs. Furthermore, it can keep a customer coming back for more as it is highly addictive. Tragically, Miller is not the only celebrity who has died of a fentanyl overdose. Newsweek states that Prince and Tom Petty both died as a result of the drug. The publication notes that fentanyl is known for providing a euphoric high and severe withdrawal symptoms. 

In May 2022, Walter pled guilty to the distribution of fentanyl and was sentenced to 17.5 years in prison for his role in Miller's death (via NPR). KTLA reported that Reavis pled guilty to the same charge and was handed a 131-month sentence. As for Petit, NBC News reports that he has pled not guilty and is still awaiting his sentencing trial at the time of this publication.