This Is How Ted Bundy Was Captured For The Last Time

One of the most notorious serial killers of all time, Ted Bundy, made headlines for the brutal murders of at least 30 women while traveling throughout the United States in the 1970s. Bundy was also known for his clever escapes from police custody, which created cat and mouse games between the killer and law enforcement. According to ABC News, in 1975, Bundy was first arrested after he attempted to kidnap a woman named Carol DaRonch. After being charged with attempted criminal assault and aggravated kidnapping, Bundy served as his own lawyer during court hearings, per ThoughtCo. In 1977, Bundy was able to escape after jumping out the window of a law library. After a week of hiding in the mountains, Bundy was spotted by police and arrested.

Later that same year, Bundy escaped once more. After starving himself and losing 25 pounds, the clever and determined serial killer climbed through a light fixture, crawled through the ducting, and found his way out of the jail. Bundy made it all the way down to Tallahassee, Florida, and stayed in an apartment near Florida State University.

Ted Bundy's final capture

While staying in Florida, Ted Bundy couldn't control his murderous impulses and had to kill again. Bundy snuck into Florida State University's Chi Omega sorority house and ended up severely wounding two women and killing two other women. One month later, in February 1978, Bundy ended up killing 12-year-old Kimberly Leach. After stealing a car to leave the area where he committed his recent murders, Bundy was pulled over by law enforcement officer David Lee. The serial killer had been approaching the Alabama state line in his Volkswagen Beetle, which had been reported stolen, per PopSugar.

Bundy, who knew this could be his last moment of freedom, tried to flee. Officer Lee fired two shots before tackling Bundy, who continued to put up a fight. Bundy tried to steal Lee's gun, but the officer wouldn't give up. Lee was able to gain control and put handcuffs on him, making it the final capture of Ted Bundy. After multiple trials, Bundy was found guilty for murdering the sorority women and Kimberly Leach. Bundy was sentenced to death, and on January 24, 1989, Bundy was put to death by the electric chair.