Where Is The First 48 Subject Daryll Johnson Now?

Between October 2nd and 3rd, 2013, someone broke into a home on the 900 block of Lamarque Street in Mandeville, Louisiana, and brutally murdered 30-year-old Kinya Keller. As reported by The Cinemaholic, the mother of three was in the process of moving out of the house she shared with her boyfriend, Daryll Johnson, when she was killed. At the time, Keller's three children were staying elsewhere.

When authorities arrived on scene, they found a bloody baseball bat outside the house. Inside, they found Keller in a pool of blood on the living room floor. According to NOLA, there were obvious signs of a struggle, as blood was found on the floor and walls of the bedroom, the kitchen, and the living room. A fish tank was shattered on the floor next to the victim. Law enforcement officials believed the killer entered the house through a front window, which appeared to have been broken from the outside.

The Cinemaholic reports Keller was beaten, cut, and ultimately strangled to death. Within hours, authorities identified Johnson as their primary suspect in the brutal murder.

Daryll Johnson was immediately identified as a suspect in Kinya Keller's murder

As authorities processed the crime scene, Daryll Johnson was outside the house screaming and attempting to force his way through the police barricade. The Cinemaholic reports officers placed him in handcuffs in an attempt to calm him down. When they began questioning Johnson about his behavior, it came to light that he and Kinya Keller were in a relationship and in the process of moving house. Johnson denied having anything to do with Keller's murder.

Although they were suspicious of Johnson's possible involvement, authorities did not have enough evidence to arrest him or charge him with any crime. However, they eventually started receiving tips suggesting Johnson had a violent temper.

As reported by The Cinemaholic, Johnson's mother, Juanita Ogden, said her son verbally and physically assaulted her in the months before Keller was killed. According to Ogden, she and Johnson were arguing when Johnson pushed her onto the couch and attempted to choke her. Although she was not seriously harmed, Ogden was frightened by the incident.

Keller's family also contacted authorities and reported Johnson loaned Keller money in the months before she was killed, and was angry when she was unable to pay him back. According to reports, Johnson began threatening Keller verbally and via text messages. NOLA reports Johnson was also angry, as Keller planned to end their relationship.

Daryll Johnson initially pleaded not guilty

Daryll Johnson was ultimately arrested in February 2014 and charged with second-degree murder — which carries a mandatory life sentence, as reported by NOLA. Johnson initially pleaded not guilty. Although prosecutors said authorities found DNA evidence linking him to the crime, Johnson's defense team argued that he was wrongly accused.

On the first day of the trial, Johnson's defense team argued that there were no witnesses to the murder. They also said authorities immediately focused on their client without exploring any other possible suspects. In her opening statement, NOLA reports defense attorney Sarah Chervinsky said, "Daryll Johnson did not kill Kinya Keller ... The only reason he is here is that, from the very first moments, Detective (Gregory) Johnson [no relation] put his target on this man."

NOLA reports Detective Johnson was being followed by a film crew from "The First 48" throughout his investigation into Keller's murder. As stated by A&E, the true crime show, " ... takes viewers behind the scenes of real-life investigations as it follows homicide detectives in the critical first 48 hours of murder investigations, giving viewers unprecedented access to crime scenes, interrogations, and forensic processing."

Former NOPD patrolman Lindy Collins III, who testified for the prosecution on the first day of Johnson's trial, admitted during cross-examination that Keller's brother, Tyrus Green, was with Johnson outside Keller's house when Johnson was detained. Although Collins admitted both men were acting "odd," Green was never detained or considered a suspect.

Daryll Johnson ultimately accepted a plea agreement

Although he and his attorneys have maintained his innocence, Daryll Johnson accepted a plea agreement and pleaded guilty to manslaughter on the second day of his trial. If he had been convicted of second-degree murder, he would have been sentenced to life in prison. Instead, NOLA reports Johnson was sentenced to 15 years, with credit for time served.

Prior to sentencing, Criminal District Court Judge Paul Bonin asked Johnson why he agreed to plead guilty. Johnson said, "Your honor, truly, I just want to get this over with and get back home to my children."

Orleans Parish District Attorney Leon Cannizzaro said Johnson's mother was expected to be one of the prosecution's key witnesses. However, As reported by NOLA, she refused to testify and even ignored a warrant to compel her to appear.

According to NOLA, Cannizzaro ultimately admitted "that there were certain problems with the case," and that the case against Johnson was based on "totally and completely circumstantial evidence." Although he said, "Certainly it wasn't a perfect conclusion for us ... ", he believes they negotiated the best possible outcome.

Kinya Keller's family also agreed to the plea agreement. During sentencing, Judge Bonin said, "But for the graciousness of Kinya's mother and father ... this would not be the outcome. And I hope you ... might say some prayers of thanks ... " As reported by The Cinemaholic, Johnson is currently housed at the Caldwell Correctional Center in Clarks, Louisiana.